Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Miracles

The 2011 Cook Children's Medical Center NICU Reunion!

This is definitely an event I never thought I'd be excited about, much less invited to...but we were.

As soon as we got the invitation, Chris and I both felt like it was an important thing to do.  As it came closer, I got a little bit nervous... we didn't really know what to expect.  Me, doing what I do and knowing what I know about premature babies...well, I was getting a bit, hmmmm, uncomfortable maybe about the thought of possibly seeing lots of children in wheelchairs and being surrounded by the evidence of just how blessed we are to have what we have...I was uncomfortable with how completely and utterly helpless in the hands of my creator I might feel, how humbled, how blessed, how...."why did you protect our baby and not theirs?  what makes us worthy?" ...

And wouldn't you know it?  Our God is so good.  He surrounded us with healthy, happy, energetic, older children running around the lawn...talk about humbled.  I just described what I expected and God demonstrated his complete sovereignty and power by showing me many, many healthy children!!  He's a miracle maker...these babies are born at 24, 25, 28 weeks... and a couple years later they are playing ring toss in the yard...that's pretty cool, God.

So, Chris Griffin and I walked around enjoying the sunshine.  We thanked the staff members we saw and knew, and we celebrated our little miracle.  Our little miracle that I tear up right now trying to fathom how much I love him, and in turn, how much God must love me that he allowed His tiny little miracle to die for me.  Whoa.

Take a look at this miracle:
This is Griffin on Octber 15, 2010 just a few hours after he was born.


 And this is Griffin yesterday kicking and squealing in his new swing:

Praise God!

Okay.  Here a few pics from the NICU reunion.  Chris said this lady with her therapy dog was "gushing" over Griffin and his big blue eyes.  Chris said he almost got a little "misty-eyed" during all of this, too...



 Chris and  Griffin - G's just chillin' in the sun!

 Griffin met this little old clown...It was funny.  I did it more for the clown than Griffin!  The clown looked sad and lonely at first, but he perked up.  And Griffin got a sticker that said, "I Hugged a Clown Today" - even though he didn't.  :)  Wasn't that nice of the little old clown?  I just thought he was too cute!




1 comment:

  1. Wow. What a blessing you have, what a blessing to be given a chance to step back and remember, what a blessing you are giving others by sharing your story. Love that baby, love your family!! (And I love his little outfit - I think they'll look great!)

    ReplyDelete