Monday, October 11, 2010

Cradled

It's been right at a year since both of my grandmothers passed away, MeeMaw in August and Gwe-Gwe in October. SO many precious memories were found in their homes as we cleaned them out to get ready to sell the estates. One of the things found in Gwe-Gwe's home was a beautiful wooden cradle. Jodi took it to her house and had it there for a while, reminding me it was there as soon as I became pregnant. However, not only did she and my parents find the cradle at Gwe-Gwe's house, but they also found the sweet little gender neutral bedding that my MeeMaw made to use with it. Both of these ladies loved babies. Loved them. Just couldn't get enough. Of course Gwe-Gwe hung onto that cradle, hoping that she may use it again one day! I'm excited that both MeeMaw and Gwe-Gwe will see Griffin and Joberto (Jodi's baby without a gender or name yet!) and whomever else may sleep in this little cradle they obviously loved so much.


This is the bed my oldest sister, Rachel (now 31) slept in when she was a newborn baby...then Ira, then me, then Jodi, etc... It had the original mattress with it, which, I'm not gonna lie, grossed me out a little. I was happy to spend $16.99 at Babies 'R' Us to get new cradle mattress so Griffin would not sleep on one that was 31 years old! :)

My mom bought me (not so much me as the cradle and whomever may sleep in it) a new cradle bumper, sheet, and blanket to go in it and she wanted me to throw away the bumper MeeMaw had made because you can't really wash it. "Awww, mom...." I said. "Do you really want me to throw it away??" Yes. They were in fact very old and very dirty and no one would want to use them still with their own babies. We decided I could dress the cradle in the handmade linens from MeeMaw, take pictures, and then throw them away and redress it in the new stuff. Soooo....

Here are the heirloom pictures of what this beautiful cradle may have looked like when Rachel and Ira and Jodi and I slept in it many, many years ago: (I'm gonna post the new cradle bedding soon when we finish the nursery and I post pictures of it.) Oh - and the lamb is Griffin's. I just thought the cradle needed a little something in it. :)

1 comment:

  1. It looks great all polished up! I know that Gwe-Gwe and Mee-Maw both would be so honored. Looking forward to seeing pictures of sweet baby Griffin in it!

    ReplyDelete