Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Back(ing) Up Plan

I was just reading some of my friends' blogs and it seems like April was CRAZY busy for a lot of people! Without pictures, here's a little view of what my month was like:

First weekend: Easter - which for a youth minister's wife means LTC! Yay! There's not much more an 8 week nauseous pregnant woman wants to do than stay on the 12th floor of a cramped hotel full of kids! No, really. It was fun. Only a few running trips to the bathroom and the kids did a great job. Then on Sunday, my whole family and Kelly, my brother's girlfriend, came to my house for Easter hamburgers and the most overdone Easter Egg hunt any 3 little boys could ask for. I think each of the boys got over a hundred eggs... there were a lot!

Second Weekend: I went to a course on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday about transitioning NICU babies to home and advanced practice in physical therapy for the development of children from birth until age 6. Wow. Since the following Monday (April 12) was our second anniversary (already!) Chris and I went to a movie and dinner on Saturday night while we were in Dallas. It was lovely. I love him so much and tell him all the time that I don't think anyone I know is as good a picking a husband as I am. I'm blessed.

Monday, April 12 - I married my wonderful husband two years ago this day. As if that isn't' enough to overwhelm a day, all of this happened: Chris left to go to an OC camp planning meeting and I had a speaking engagement that evening. That's right. A speaking engagement. Ha! My mom was my lovely date. My high school called me a few weeks before and said they were looking for a former National Honor Society Member who was successful to come back and speak at an evening banquet for the kids and parents. At first I was a little confused why they called my, but then I discovered they were very interested in my education as a doctor of physical therapy. It was a delightful evening. There were a few more people there than I thought there would be, but I was so honored to get to do it and give back to the "village" that helped raise me. I hope I made my momma proud.

Tuesday, April 13 - I hosted BUNCO at my house! A few month ago, a group of 12 young ladies at my church invited me to be a part of their bunco group. To make a long story short, my month to host came much faster than it should have. I canceled a few of my afternoon patients that day and came home to cook and do last minute cleaning. I made green chile chicken enchiladas (my sweet husband grilled and diced the chicken for me before he left), guacamole, salad, queso, and chips. We had an Blue Bell ice cream buffet for dessert (a pregnant woman's dream!). I think I spent a ridiculous $30-40 just on ice cream, but it was fun and it was good.

The Third Weekend: the great flood = canceled youth group event. We actually stayed home this weekend due to the weather, which was okay because I had been very sick (just pregnancy throwing up stuff) the Thursday before and I really needed to get some sleep!

Last Weekend in April: Youth group retreat in Oklahoma. It was such a fun retreat and our new intern, Michael, came. It was great to meet him. I very excited about getting to know him better over the summer and I think he will get along with Chris and the kids great. At the retreat we talked about "story" and "what if." If someone read about my life in a book, would they keep reading like they do Harry Potter, or would they put it down because it was boring and seemed like it was going no where. We talked about different Bible characters who lived great stories and how so often our stories may be more exciting if we ask the question, "what if... I offer to buy that family dinner who appear to be struggling...what if ... instead of watching the office at my house by myself tonight I go knock on my neighbors door and ask if they want to come over and watch it. Stuff like that. It was good. AND I finished my first trimester!! My sweet baby is growing and growing. The throwing up and nausea hasn't ended yet for me, but I'm still hopeful that it will. (and we find out what we are having on May 19th!)

And now, we're to the first weekend in May: We flew to Florida for the wedding of Chris's cousin Steven and his wife Cathy. It was fun to spend time with Chris's family and to finally meet so much of his family that I never have! I'm hoping to put some pictures of this on here soon.

And just so you know, a foreshadowing - We sat right behind home plate at the Rangers game last night because Chris graduated with his Master's degree! I'm so proud of him. More to come on that later, too.

Sorry for the marathon post. That was all so important and noteworthy I just feel like I had to pay tribute to it!

3 comments:

  1. Our Aprils sound very similar... except I am not pregnant, so that is different. But other than that, very similar. Hope you have a relaxing May... see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your 2nd anniversary!! I hope you start feeling better soon and I can't wait to hear what your baby is- so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for chronicling that, oh-so-busy month! Yes, your momma was VERY proud of you as you spoke to high school students, giving them great little pointer on life and inspiring them to do their very best. I've been the recipient of many compliments because of you...Brings back the words I totally believe: I have a measure of success because of my children's great reputations, not the (usual) other way around!

    ReplyDelete