Monday, May 24, 2010

Meeting Nanna


I lost all 3 of my grandparents within the last 2 years - actually, it all happened within 15 months of each other, but time is passing now. Grandparents are SO important.

Chris has 2 living grandparents. His grandfather, his dad's dad, was
at out wedding. Again, I hardly remember meeting him. He is no longer married to Chris's Nanna. Nanna lives in a nursing home with Harry, her new husband. Nanna has dementia and Chris tells me she has not really carried a conversation in about 8 years. On Sunday May, 2nd, while we were in Pensacola, we drove down to Martin where her nursing home is
to visit her. She was lovely! Chris and his family were all so delighted that she recognize
ed them all and she even seemed to know that Chris was married and was ready to meet me!

All afternoon Chris's mom and dad spoke of how they had not heard her say so much in years. What a blessing that we got to see her and I got to meet her on such a good day. I'm not gonna lie. I shed a few tears while I was in there - jealous tears. Tears that were screaming, "at least they still have their grandmother! And Lucas has a great grandmother!... and I just plane old miss mine." And then they turned into happy tears. My MeeMaw and my Gwe Gwe are certainly better off. Gwe Gwe isn't lonely and MeeMaw doesn't hurt... and how lucky am I that I got to meet this wonderful matriarch on one of her best days in years to form memories of her.

Here are a few of our pictures:

1 comment:

  1. man, oh, man! You went and made me shed a few tears, too! Glad the family was REALLY able to visit with Nanna and not just have to check that job off the list without much gratification. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete